Saturday, May 7, 2011

Take Me Down To...

Robert's Stadium.  It doesn't have the same ring as 'the little white church,' but it's where we were Thursday night for this stop on Sugarland's 'The Incredible Machine' tour.  This was their first show on this leg of the tour.  Opening for Sugarland were Little Big Town and Matt Nathanson.

I like to say that 'I know people who know people.'  It's true, I have connections that allow me to do some pretty cool things that I would never be able to do without said connections.  My brother-in-law, Tony, is the webmaster and content manager for John Mellencamp.  LBT toured with Mellencamp a few years back and then Karen, one of the band members, did vocals on one of Mellencamp's albums.  JM happens to record in Belmont, Indiana, so Tony went when JM and Karen were recording.  Long story short, Tony got to know Karen and the rest of the LBT band.  Any time LBT comes close to our area, he gets us a few tickets with a meet and greet pass.

The first time we met LBT was in July 2007 at Freedom Hall.  They were opening for Martina McBride.  We were thrilled when Tony told us he secured some tickets for the Evansville show where they were opening for Sugarland, one of my favorite acts.

We got to the meet and greet and got in the back of the line so that Tony could chat with them a little longer.  After a little wait, we got to chat with them again.  I have not met all that many people in the music business, but I do think that LBT just might be the nicest musicians in the business.  We chatted with them for a while and then took our picture.


We hung around for a little bit while Tony chatted with them and then went to our seats.  We enjoyed Matt Nathanson's set.  He's really talented, and I may be having to get some of his music on my iPod soon.  Little Big Town's set was awesome, as usual, and we enjoyed every minute of it.  In the middle of their set, they covered the Lady Gaga song 'Born this Way.'  I think they almost did it BETTER than Gaga, but that's just my opinion.  You can check out a video of them covering it here and form your own opinion.  

Sugarland puts on a great show.  They performed all their hits and even a few covers in between songs.  I highly, highly recommend catching one of their shows if you have a chance.  

It was a great evening.  Thanks, Denise and Tony, for letting us tag along.  We loved every minute of it.  

1 comment: