Tuesday, April 12, 2011

DC Fun: Day 2

We had beautiful weather for our second day in DC.  Jodi found a great bus tour that we could hop on at Arlington National Cemetery.  We had breakfast at Jodi and Nathaniel's apartment and then Jodi dropped us off so that we could catch our bus into the city.  



We took the bus into the city to see the monuments.  We had a great weather.  The temperature ended ended up around 85 or so.  Me, being the fair-skinned, easily burned person that I am, forgot sunscreen, so I am sporting an awesome farmer's 'burn' now.  It was worth it though to see all of the history that Washington, DC  has to offer. 







We've seen a lot of awesome memorials, statues, and pieces of history so far, but my favorite (and by a landslide) was the Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetery.  We watched this twice, and I honestly think I could have watched it again.  It is amazing.  I am so glad I got to experience this.  

While we were waiting to get back on the bus at the White House Visitor's Center (which is about one block from the White House), we saw police officers closing the streets.  A lot of people stopped and were standing by the intersection.  We looked down to the intersection and saw about three police officers on motorcycles come through with their lights on.  We knew something had to be going on.  About the time we realized this, we saw the President's motorcade come through to go to the south lawn of the White House.  I happened to be on the phone with my Dad, and I bet he was a bit surprised when I said (rather loud), "Oh my!  There's the President!"  

Even though we have seen a lot of great sights, I think I still like this one even more:  


See you soon with the events of day three!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment